P.G. Department of Commerce & Business Administration
Year of Establishment 1981
The Department had its inception in 1981, first ever in the region, with the introduction of the B.Com Degree Program at a time when Commerce as an educational choice was a distant one for women. In order to keep pace with recent trends, we kept on adding new courses, BBA, M.Com and PGDFS. Over the years, the performance of Commerce Department has grown from strength to strength. The teaching in all the programmes are done through interactive sessions in the classroom, through videos, audios, tutorials and group discussions and beyond classrooms by organizing industrial visits, seminars, workshops etc. To add fun element to learning, several extracurricular activities such as the Commerce Mela, Inter-college Competition “BRAINSTORM”, are also organized. The department has an active Commerce Association named “Young Biz Consortium” consisting of nominated student representatives with the senior teachers of the department as its Advisors. The faculty members of the department regularly participate in seminars, workshops and conferences at the State/national/international level organized by various institutions and Universities. To exploit the research potential of the faculty and students, department has taken an initiative of publishing two ISSN numbered annual journals, one by teachers and one by students.
To measure the strength of the department, see the result gazettes, how our students are securing ranks year after year. Also we take pride in telling the success stories of our alumna working in many educational institutions and in corporate sector.
- Post Graduate Diploma in Financial Services
- B.Com Hons: 3 Year Course
- B.Com (Hons): With additional subject of Hons.
- B. Voc in Retail Management
- B.Voc in Management & Secretarial Practices
- Dr. Neeraj Maini (Associate Professor & Head)
- Mrs. Poonam Gupta (Associate Professor)
- Dr. Mrs. Sabina Batra (Associate Professor)
- Mrs. Rashmi Sharma (Associate Professor)
- Mrs. Rashmi Bindra (Assistant Professor)
- Ms. Ritu (Assistant Professor)
- Ms. Namita Kochhar (Assistant Professor)
- Ms. Poonam Jairath (Lecturer)
- Ms. Yasmine (Lecturer)
- Ms. Subha (Lecturer)
- Mrs. Alisha Kakkar (Lecturer)
- Ms. Harjot Kaur (Lecturer)
- Ms. Anshita Vatta(Lecturer)
- Ms. Simran Kaur(Lecturer)
- Ms. Manjot Kaur(Lecturer)
- Ms. Neha(Lecturer)
Strengths of Department
- Accounting and Computer Lab with latest Software
- Department Library
- Smart Classrooms/ Projectors
- E- Lessons
- Internet Facility
- Guidance to clear CPT, UGC Test and Bank Exams
- Special Classes for Career Counseling, improvement of Communication and Interview Skills, Resume writing and Personality Development
- Campus Placements
- Practical Training for Filing up of Income Tax Returns and Filling up Banking Forms etc.
- Teaching practical aspects of curriculum by visiting different Industries, Banks and Stock Exchanges.
- One Major Research and Three Minor Research projects funded by UGC have been submitted by the faculty members.
- Faculty members present Papers at International and National Level.
- Faculty has research publications in refereed International and National Journals
- One faculty member has been awarded a “ Best Paper Award”
- Three faculty members are pursuing Ph.d.
- Department has its own Annual Refereed with ISSN No. 2454-2903 Publication titled “ INDIAN JOURNAL OF EMPIRICAL RESEARCHES IN COMMERCE AND MANAGEMENT”
- Department has its student book- Wings: A Flight to Excellence with ISBN No.
- Practical Training for filing of Income Tax and GST Returns.
Many students of the department get On-Campus placements every year. The name of the companies are:
- Bajaj Allianz
- Kotak Mahindra
- IBM Daksh
- Bharti AXA
- IBPS (Banking)
- Vistara Airlines
Professional Tie-Ups & Collaborations:
- National Institute of Securities Markets (NISM),Mumbai: An Academic Initiative of SEBI
- Ramco International
- Big Bazaar
- Pantaloons ( Aditya Birla Fashion Retail)
- Itronix solution
- Institute of Chartered Accountants of India
- National Stock Exchange Ltd.
- Institute of Cost and Management Accountant of India
Two- Day National Seminar on “Financial Sector- A Paradigm Shift (Pre And Post Reforms)”
International Conference on "GLOBALISATION OF MARKETS: EMERGING CHALLENGES"
Regional Seminar on “Women Empowerment through Financial Education” held in collaboration with SEBI and NSE Pvt. Ltd.
Organised One- Day Workshop on Career Counseling by Institute of Cost and Management Accountants of India.
Extension lecture on “ An Overview of Capital Market and Career in Capital Market” organized in collaboration with National Institute of Securities Market, SEBI.
Workshop on Financial Literacy by SEBI
Visit to India International Trade Fair New Delhi on the invitation of National Stock Exchange Ltd.
Visit to Reliance Industries Ltd. Hoshiarpur