- Prof. Dr. (Mrs.) Atima Sharma Dwivedi, PES-1.
- Principal, Kanya Maha Vidyalaya, Jalandhar City, PB India.
- Ph.D (Contemporary American Literature)
- M.Phil, M.A (English Literature)
- B.A (Hons.)
- Alumnae : Harvard Graduate School of Education, USA
Professional Development Programmes :
- ‘Management and Leadership in Education’-Program attended at Harvard Graduate School of Education, USA
- ‘Including Ourselves in the Change Equation : Personal Learning for Organizational Growth’- Project completed with Harvard University,USA
- Two Programs attended at National University of Educational Planning (NUEPA), New Delhi for CPE College Principals.
Areas of Interest: Higher education, English literature, Women issues, Social & community work, Research & Development, HR Development.
Present Appointment : Principal, Kanya Maha Vidyalaya, Jalandhar (Pb.) since 2008 till date.
Work Experience: 39 years teaching and administrative experience in various institutions of India and abroad. Taught in China for 3 years. Extensively travelled, represented India at various international platforms. Previously, Principal Govt. College in Punjab (PES-I). Served in Govt. Colleges for 28 years (Selected through Punjab Public Service Commission).
- Wide, progressive vision with effective result-oriented leadership qualities and work ethics, inspirational leadership to affect change in organizations.
- Extensive experience in education with wide exposure to international systems.
- Human Resource approach with a compassionate outlook, consistence and patience.
Brief Background :
Prof. (Dr.) Atima Sharma Dwivedi, Principal, Kanya Maha Vidyalaya, Jalandhar, is a visionary, dynamic & renowned academician, with 39 years of teaching & administrative experience, in India and abroad. She has been in her present appointment as Principal of a leading women college of North India for more than seven years. With her dedicated and passionate work, she has steered her present institution to unprecedented heights; A leader who leads from the front, she believes and works with a transformational and progressive approach towards education. She has innovative, inclusive and participatory leadership style with outcomes oriented approach and record. Having focus on social issues of national and international proportions, she is committed to social work and is passionate about helping women of less privileged sections of society by developing entrepreneurial skills in them.
Although selected into the Civil Service in 1982, Dr. Atima Sharma gave up the lucrative career due to her passion for academics. An outstanding student, she was a topper in the Masters Programme in English Literature and later pursued her M.Phil and Ph.D in contemporary American Literature. She was selected by Punjab Public Service Commission (PES-I) services as English Lecturer and worked in Govt. Colleges for 20 years, as teacher and later Principal. Keeping in view her talent, credentials and contribution, she was selected to head KMV, Jalandhar-a Heritage institution with 130 years legacy in pioneering and promoting women education. She was selected to attend a program ‘Management and Leadership in Higher Education’ by Harvard University, USA.
Extensively travelled, she has worked and lived in China for three years and has visited universities and colleges in Europe, US and Asia as participant in academic programs, conferences, collaborations and as invited speaker.
Dr. Sharma has introduced many UG and PG programs, along with various innovative and vocational initiatives for the new age students. She has successfully started collaborations with various US universities, MNCs and local industry for providing excellence in education to students.
Additional Appointments Held
- Member, Senate, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar.
- Member, Human Resource Development Center, GND University, Amritsar.
- Member, Academic Council, G.N.D.U, Amritsar.
- Member Equivalence Committee, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar, India.
- Member, College Development Council, Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar, India.
- Member, Arya Shiksha Mandal (Educational Society, running 5 education institutions).
- Director, Sanskriti KMV School, Jalandhar.
- Member, Lok Adalat (Public Courts) as Jury Member for settling family and other disputes (non-criminal)
- Nominee on various selection boards.
- Author, ‘Realizing Limits : A Study of Joyce Carol Oates’.
- Author, ‘General Literary Terms in English’.
- Chief Editor ‘Women Empowerment & Higher Education’.
- Chief Editor ‘Human Rights : Challenges, Problems, Issues and Alternative’
- Editor : ‘Rejuvenating Society : The Gandhian Alternatives’
- Editor ‘Mahatama Gandhi : The Champion Crusader’.
- Chief Editor of ‘Oracle’-an International English Annual Literature Journal (ISSN 2319 5673)
- 51 Articles, stories, poems and critical articles in various journals and books.
- Presently pursuing a Research Project with Boston University (USA) faculty on global issues pertaining to higher education and making of global citizens.
- Signed an MOU with Chatham University, U.S.A for collaborating in academic and cultural activities (between Kanya Maha Vidyalaya, Jalandhar and Chatham University, U.S.A).
- Developed active academic partnership with Boston University, USA
- Procured membership of College Board, USA, for the institution and actively interacted for academic growth.
- Session chairperson at International Journal of Arts & Sciences’ (IJAS) International Conference for Academic Disciplines held at Harvard University (USA) (May 27-31, 2012); (May, 2015).
- Best Research Paper awarded in the Conference (IJAS), International Conference on academic discipline at Harvard University, USA
- Worked in Beijing (China) as English teacher in International organization for 4 years.
- Chairperson of 4 International Conferences on “International Conference on Role of Technology in enhancing the Quality of Higher Education” (26,27 Oct, 2012); “Environmental Challenges: A Global Concern’ on Oct 15-16, 2010; “Empowering Women through Higher Education” on Oct 20 – 21, 2011.
- Promoted Indian Art & Culture in China by extensively writing in Chinese English newspapers and magazines.
- Working hand-in-hand with various NGO’s for social causes and national strength. Also working on projects with Cherie Blair Foundation.
- Established ‘School of Communications’ which has foreign languages programmes being taught by native speakers. Languages taught : French, Chinese, Spanish, German and spoken English.
- Established cultural exchange with other countries through teacher student exchange programmes.
- Has visited, interacted with scholars and participated in conferences and taken lectures at Boston University (USA), Chatham University (USA), Beijing University (China), Hong Kong University, Birmingham University (U.K), Athens University (Greece), Columbia University (U.S.A), Princeton University (U.S.A).
- Wrote on cultural & social issues in newspapers of Beijing as a free lance journalist during three years stay there.
- Invited for talks at Boston University, USA, Chatham University, USA Hong Kong University. Beijing University, USA
Social and Community Work:
- Established Skill Development Centre in Kanya Maha Vidyalaya for Empowerment of women from disadvantaged families. Trained 1250 women in past 7 years in vocational skills like dress construction, fashion designing, cosmetology, jewellery making, cosmetology, computer basic skills, communication skills, spoken English courses & accounts, free of any cost.
- Established Vocational Centres for training Youth in J & K under Civic Action Programs run by Army.
- As wife of Senior Army Officer, Dr. Sharma has worked with great dedication for war widows, adult education, and women empowerment through formation of “Weavers’ Guilds” in remote areas of North-East India, training young women as paramedics, organizing Medical Camps for civilians and establishing schools in remote border areas of India. Also trained teachers through workshops for providing better education to children of border areas in North-East India.
- Worked for AIDS patients & AIDS orphans in North-East India
- Presently working with great dedication to skill and train women from underprivileged sections of society to make them successful entrepreneurs. Mentoring these women regularly.
- Organized various events to promote Arts & Culture to award & honour artists
- Various activities like blood donation camps, helping old age homes & orphanages, promoting health related activities like yoga, meditation camps & working with NGO’s for promotion of awareness among masses
- Organized many field campus in villages and remote areas to promote social issues, with special focus on women issues, girl child, health, education and skill development.
Awards and Honours:
- ‘Achiever of the Millennium Award’ presented for International Achievers Conference held at Bangkok, Thailand for “Global Corporate Achievements & Social Responsibilities”.
- ‘Rajiv Gandhi Education Excellence Award’ presented during National Seminar on “Education & Socio-Economic Development” held at New Delhi.
- Won “Best Principal” award bestowed by National Science Olympiad.
- Won ‘Award of Excellence’ as President of Red Shield division Army Wives Welfare Association for services to this great organization.
- Won ‘Bharat Excellence’ award for meritorious service to nation by Achievers Foundation of India.
- Best Educationist Award 2013 by IIEM.
- JMA (Jalandhar Management Association) award of ‘Excellence in Education’.
- Best research content award for “Psychosocial Pressures on Women and the Ameliorating Impact: The Indian Context” by International Journal of Arts & Sciences’ (IJAS) at Harvard University, USA.
- Indo-Nepal Shiromani Award” for outstanding Achievements in the field of Education on the occasion of Indo-Nepal Friendship Summit for ‘Indo-Nepal Friendship & Economic Co-operation’ on 11th April, 2015, Kathmandhu (Nepal)
- ‘Asia Pacific Achievers Award’ by Indian Solidarity Council for outstanding Achievements and Remarkable Role in the field of education
Prof. (Mrs.) Atima Sharma Dwivedi
Email : email@example.com
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org